Richmond is a charming town along the Thames River known for having lots of greenery, parks, and good restaurants.
Are you in the area and looking for an excellent place to eat? There are plenty of options serving various cuisines. Here are our top 13 picks you can never go wrong with!
Best Restaurants in Richmond, London
Diba Persian Restaurant
- Location: 7 Paradise Rd, Richmond TW9 1RX
- Hours: Monday – Sunday 12.00pm – 11.00pm
- Price: Main dishes £7.95 – £18.95, Desserts £5.95, Drinks £2.50+
- What they are known for: Great location, Persian cuisine
Located 5 minutes from Richmond Underground station and Richmond Theatre, you can find the Diba Persian restaurant serving Iranian cuisine. The ambience is calm and relaxed, created mainly by the wall paintings, a lot of wood, stone, and interesting decoration. The place offers an outdoor sitting area as well as indoor seating.
This cosy little spot serves a variety of food, including grilled meats and skewers, stews, seafood, and wraps – all with unique Persian tastes. The chefs follow the traditional Persian way of cooking, from washing herbs to slow-cooking meat. As a result, the meal tastes homemade, flavourful, and full of colours!
The Dysart Petersham
- Location: 135 Petersham Rd, Richmond TW10 7AA
- Hours: Thursday, Friday, Saturday 12pm –2:15pm, Wednesday – Sunday 6pm – 8:30pm
- Price: 3 Course Lunch Menu £55, 3 Course Dinner Menu £70, Tasting Menu £110
- What they are known for: Michelin star
The Michelin star restaurant is located in a picturesque part of South-West London, in an old Arts and Crafts building from 1904, making the most of its unique charm. An elegant and warm atmosphere will make your time here very special. A fireplace, candlelight, and gentle music in the background make this place an excellent choice for an intimate dinner.
The offered menu in The Dysart Petersham is changing seasonally since the ingredients used follow the Slow Food Movement’s approach with plenty of organic and locally-grown ingredients. Even with avoiding additive sugars, the meals created in the kitchen are sublime and flavourful. A restaurant offers three various tasting menus. The cocktails on the menu are great and, considering the prestige, pretty affordable.
While there, don’t miss out on their delicious and creative desserts!
- Location: 11 Hill Rise, Richmond TW10 6UQ
- Hours: Monday – Sunday 12.00pm – 10.00pm
- Price: Starters £7.50 – £15.75, Main dishes £11.70 – £37.50, Desserts £2.90+, Drinks £3.75+
- What they are known for: Signature French experience
Chez Lindsay brings you authentic French flavours in the heart of Richmond. This warm and inviting restaurant serves fresh and authentic French cuisine, from fish soups and seafood to crepes and other fabulous desserts. Even the drink selection is impressive – french wines, ciders, and numerous soft drink options.
House speciality is galettes – buckwheat-nutty-flavour pancakes with your choice of filling, all gluten-free but packed with vitamins and minerals. Chez Lindsay has very old-fashioned decor, with dimmed lights during dinner. This place is local’s go-to choice for business brunches or Sunday lunches.
- Location: 14 Station Parade, Richmond TW9 3PZ
- Hours: Wednesday 12am-9pm; Thursday 10am-9pm; Friday&Saturday 12am-9.30pm
- Price: A three-course menu from £52
- What they are known for: Excellent service and creative menu
Opposite Kew Gardens tube station, on 14 Station Parade, you will find a low-key, Michelin-starred restaurant that will leave you in awe with its bold Europan dishes. The Glasshouse was established in 1999 and gained a Michelin star just three years later.
If you have been to Chez Bruce and La Trompetter, then you know exactly what to expect in the Glasshouse Kew as it’s owned by the same team, Nigel Platts-Martin and Bruce Poole.
Current head chef Greg Wellman creates the most scrumptious dishes with seasonal ingredients, inspired by his travels in Australia, Asia, and South America. From truffle linguine and chicken ravioli to pig’s head croquette and crisp sea bream with chorizo picante. Make sure to leave space for to-die-for desserts.
You can top off your meals with wine from their extensive wine list or a cocktail, whatever suits you best. This place is fancy but not pretentious and luxurious without being too expensive. It has been the locals’ favourite for over 20 years.
Rock and Rose
- Location: 106, 108 Kew Rd, Richmond TW9 2PQ
- Price: Starters £8.95, Main dishes £13.95 – £39.95, Desserts £4.50 – £7.95, Cocktails £8.95+
- What they are known for: deliciously creative cocktails, casual ambience
Rock and Rose bar and restaurant is all about food, passion, and glamour – from the decor to food to cocktails. This contemporary dining establishment, founded in 2009, is located in the heart of Richmond. Here, they focus on freshly made Asian-style food and creative cocktails.
The atmosphere is what makes this place memorable. You can choose between outside seating with outdoor heating or one of the indoor sections with comfy chairs and couches. Unique wallpapers and plants provide a striking backdrop.
Regarding food, you can pick between the A La Carte menu, Set Lunch, Vegan menu, and Sunday Roast. Therefore, it is a to-go place for anniversaries, brunches, or girls’ nights.
- Location: 86 Hill Rise, Richmond TW10 6UB
- Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 5pm – 11pm, Sun 5pm – 10 pm
- Price: Starters £6.95 – £14.95, Main dishes £7.75 – £16.99, Soft drinks £1+
- What they are known for: great staff and big meal portions
Another Indian food place in town! The owner and manager, Sudden Alberts, gives a great example to the service staff – he is friendly and attentive, always ready to provide suggestions based on your preferences. And they definitely follow – the service is impeccable. The head chef has worked in high-end restaurants in India, so you can be sure you will taste the authentic Indian meal.
The menu in Swagat is high quality, and the portions are large enough. The menu offers variety, but guests especially like curry and vegetarian dishes.
The atmosphere is subtle and intimate; more than the decor, Swagat focuses on food quality.
Slug & Lettuce
- Location: Riverside House Water Lane Richmond TW9 1TJ
- Hours: Friday – Saturday 10am – 12am, Sunday – Thursday 10am – 11pm
- Price: Brunch £30+, Meals £7.50+, Cocktails £10.45+
- What they are known for: Bottomless Brunch + Drinks
Affordable food with a Thames view! Slug & Lettuce is a place to go when you want to enjoy your meal while sipping cocktails. The interior design is chic and homey.
When it comes to food, no one leaves this place hungry since the options are almost limitless. They serve burgers, tacos, subs and wraps, curry, pasta and more! Besides, they have plenty of vegetarian and vegan options, a special menu for kids, and the list goes on.
Slug & Lettuce is especially known for their Bottomless Brunch, where for £30 (min. 2 people), you get 9 different meals to choose from and a table booked for 2 hours. What is worth mentioning is that for £10 extra, you can also enjoy Bottomless Cocktails!
Tip: Despite friendly and prompt service, ordering by scanning QR codes at the table is considerably faster.
The Petersham Restaurant
- Location: Nightingale Ln, Richmond TW10 6UZ
- Price: Breakfast £12 – £22, Lunch 3 courses £45, Afternoon Tea £39.50
- What they are known for: Exquisite breakfast
Petersham offers a fine-dining experience with the Thames view. This restaurant is located in a 4-star Richmond hotel built in 1865. Head chef Alex Bentley creates a meal that combines exquisite British cuisine with fresh, seasonal ingredients.
While making the reservation, this place is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea only. Dinners are reserved for hotel guests only. For breakfast special, try one of the packages – The English Breakfast (vegan version available) or The Continental Breakfast. From the lunch menu, guests love Fillet of Scottish Beef.
The atmosphere at the restaurant is relaxing, and the service is polite. This restaurant is ideal for a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday celebration.
Pier1 Fish and Grill
- Location: 11-13 Petersham Rd, Richmond TW10 6UH
- Hours: Monday – Saturday 11:30am – 11:00pm, Sunday 11:30am – 10:00pm
- Price: Starters £5.95 – £10.95, Main dishes £9.95 – £26.95, Desserts £4.25+
- What they are known for: Fish and Chips
For over 10 years, the food in Pier1 Fish and Grill has attracted many tourists, locals and even celebrities. This place has a unique and easy-to-remember interior design – even though it is contemporary and stylish, sailoring decoration creates a very relaxed and laid-back ambience.
Chefs with different expertise created the menu with one purpose: to satisfy every request. The choices include traditional fish and chips, grilled fish, and seafood like tempura or even sirloin steak. It is worth mentioning that Fish and Chips from this place is one of the best in the UK.
Pier1 also offers incredible desserts for a sweet tooth like sticky toffee pudding or crème brûlée.
The convenient location nearby the Richmond Bridge is a cherry on the top.
- Location: Richmond Towpath, Richmond upon Thames, TW10 6UX
- Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 12pm – 9:30pm
- Price: Starters £8.40 – £26.90, Main dishes £5.90 – £15.90+, Desserts £5.10 – £8.90, Beer £3.90+
- What they are known for: German cuisine
Are you familiar with Kartoffelbrei, Bratwurst or Wiener Schnitzel? Even if you are not, you must try Bavarian cuisine in this German-style restaurant named Stein’s Richmond. What was once a dirty, vandalised ice cream parlour the owners transferred into a modern restaurant with the unique atmosphere of a continental beer garden.
Besides their authentic kitchen, they serve German beer and wines (sold with food only). After enjoying the main dishes, you can also try the famous chocolate Sachertorte or Wiener Apfelstrudel here. This place is well known among locals, but tourists too, especially german-speaking, who love to sit around and enjoy the view with a pint of original Erdinger Weissbier or bottled Bundaberg.
- Location: 31-35 Kew Road, Richmond, TW9 2NQ 020 3928 5608
- Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 10pm, Friday and Saturday 8:30am – 11pm, Sunday 9am –9:30pm
- Price: Breakfast set menu £12.50 – £17.50, Set menu £15 – £18
- What they are known for: Italian cuisine
Carluccio’s is one of the finest Italian restaurants in the area. A bit further from the station, this place is an ideal spot for breakfast, lunch al fresco or relaxed dinner. Since 1999, Carluccio’s has served an all-day Italian-style menu and amazing coffee. The modern and stylish interior features cosy corners, open spaces and vibrant colours. And the pure magic is in the details like foliage installation and colourful ceramics.
The restaurant offers various menus for various occasions – all-day, breakfast, set, or gluten-free. The meals follow their motto: minimum of fuss, maximum of flavour. The food includes delicious antipasti, freshly made pasta, salads but also Focaccias, Garlic bread and many more.
Steven Edwards at Bingham Riverhouse
- Location: 61-63, Petersham Rd, Richmond TW10 6UT
- Hours: Wednesday 6:30pm – 11pm, Thursday – Saturday 12pm – 4pm and 6:30pm – 11 pm
- Price: Set menu £40 – £85 + wine pairing £30 – £75
- What they are known for: Unique atmosphere and mouth-watering menu
This boutique hotel dining room in Richmond provides a high-end dining experience created by chef Steven Edwards (well-known as a winner of MasterChef: The Professionals competition). The place has an amazing riverfront view with the alternative of sitting in the dining room or verandah.
The presented sample menu at Bingham Riverhouse is very simple and doesn’t offer many options, but it is rich in taste. As for starters, you won’t go wrong with Quail or Scallop, followed by the six options for the main dish and four dessert choices.
As in most places in Richmond, Riverhouse might be slightly pricey too; however, the meal and overall services are well worth it. Besides meat/fish choices, there is always at least one option for vegetarians.
- Location: 06 Sheen Rd, Richmond TW9 1UR
- Hours: Wednesday – Monday 5pm –11pm, Tuesday – closed
- Price: Appretizel £6.50 – £9.50, Main dish £9 – £30, Dessert £6.50, Drinks £3+, Cocktails £14+
- What they are known for: Authentic Indian meals
A walking distance from the river on the corner of Sheen Park and Sheen Road, you can get some authentic Indian cuisine. The Madhu’s Brasserie is inspired by the award-winning Madhu’s Restaurant, which opened in 1980. Traditions passed down through generations are combined with contemporary dishes, influenced by Punjabi and Kenyan cuisines.
Madhu’s Brasserie might be a chain, but it has a great benefit – it offers a live counter dining experience. Therefore, this place is suitable for romantic dates or family dinners.
The two-floor building offers plenty of seating options. The interior is very exquisite but still cosy with a homely feeling. The prices at this restaurant are on the higher end of the scale.
Richmond’s choices of cuisines are impressive, ranging from posh Michelin-starred restaurants to friendly family-style terraces. To accompany the meal, be sure to indulge in your favourite cocktail, beer, or soft drink.